First Cerificate in English
First Certificate in English (FCE) is an exam for people who need to prove they can use everyday written and spoken English at an upper-intermediate level for work or study purposes
FCE is set at Level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
B2 is the level of English needed to:
- start working in an English speaking environment
- study at an upper intermediate level
It shows that you are becoming skilled in English.
For example, at B2 level typical users can be expected to:
- understand the main ideas of complex pieces of writing
- keep up a conversation on a fairly wide range of topics, expressing opinions and presenting arguments
- produce clear, detailed writing, expressing opinions and explaining the advantages and disadvantages of different points of view.
Cambridge English: First – Level C1
Exceptional candidates sometimes show ability beyond B2 level. If you achieve a grade A in your exam, you will receive the First Certificate in English stating that you demonstrated ability at Level C1.
Cambridge English: First – Level B2
If you achieve grade B or C in your exam, you will be awarded the First Certificate in English at Level B2.
Level B1 Certificate
If your performance is below Level B2, but falls within Level B1, we will recognise your achievement with a Cambridge English certificate stating that you demonstrated ability at B1 level.